Monday, July 30, 2012

100TWC - Day 3: Making History

If anything, the heat was even more oppressive than usual as Joan rode the elevator to the 11th floor. The acrid stench of the morning rush assailed her nostrils, made even more pungent by the welcome waft of fresh air as she joined the flood of grey-suited humanity jostling through the halls. By contrast the hushed sighing of moving paper from one desk to another in Room 1101 calmed her flailing heartbeat as she took her place in the parade of identical desks.

She took a sip of coffee and turned to her screen.

"I don't know how you can drink that stuff."

Her coworker, Stanley Brown, gave a disgusted grimace from his desk facing hers.

"When you remember what it should be like."
"I'm not sure I can remember."
"Damned sure I do. And I wouldn't touch that crap."
"Don't let the supervisor hear you. That's a definite demerit and loss of privileges for a week. At best."
"Privileges? Ha! That's a joke."
"Don't start. I have way too much to do to get into another 'bash the party' argument with you."

Stanley shrugged and turned back to his screen, his expression unreadable. Joan flipped over to a long list of documents, the top five of which flashed urgently. She opened the first: "Letters from a Wounded Hero", and scanned the first few pages, taking regular sips from her coffee and scribbling notes on a yellow pad in front of her in a neat, rounded hand. After a few minutes, she dropped her pen and sat back, blowing out the breath she had been holding and running her hands through her hair.

"Problem?"
"I can't see what's wrong with this but there has to be something. It was at the top of my list."
"What is it?"
"Letters from a Wounded Hero."
"Who's the hero?"
"Edward MacArthur."
"Hmm. Pretty sure it was his nephew who was recently charged with Conduct Unbecoming. My guess? MacArthur isn't a hero any more."
"I should check with Winston."

Stanley shuffled uncomfortably in his seat and looked quickly at the nearest workers. All appeared engrossed in their screens.

"Winston... isn't here today."
"Well I can't leave this until tomorrow. It's at the top of my freakin' list!"
"He won't be in tomorrow either."

No comments: