Tuesday, October 02, 2012

100TWC - Day 67: Boundaries

A ripple of applause encircled the small pitch just as the church clock struck the quarter hour. Williams had hit a four. Paul was grateful for the interruption.

"I just can't get past it," Burlap was saying, "it's like I've hit a brick wall."
"That was a great shot."
"Eh?"
"Williams. Another four. That's three and he's only been in since just before eleven."
"Oh. Yeah. Good for him."
"You're not really here today at all are you old boy?"
"Mmm? Sorry. No. It's this work thing."
"It's Sunday Jonny, for Chrissake. Can't you leave it in the office for the weekend."
"This code is due on Monday," Burlap replied, running his hands across his face. "And I just--"
"Can't fix the problem. Yeah, you said."

A loud "oooh!" rolled around the ground. Paul looked back across the pitch to see the umpire pointing at Williams.

"God. He's out."
"What?"
"Williams. LBW I think. Bad luck."
"Guess that means I'm in," Burlap sighed, picking up his bat and checking his pads.
"Guess so," Paul agreed, trying to hide his relief. He was happy to help out a mate, naturally, but in Burlap's case there was no help he could offer. He wasn't a computer man, and an hour and a quarter of listening to him moan on about his latest project was more than enough.

Burlap shook Williams' hand as they passed each other at the entrance to the pavilion. Williams spotted the vacant seat next to Paul and walked over.

"Good boundaries!" Paul offered.
A dark look passed across Williams face and he stopped in the act of sitting down.
"What do you mean by that?" he snapped.
"Three fours and you were only in for about fifteen minutes."
"Oh, that. Yeah. Couple of lucky strikes. Ken isn't a very good bowler really."
"What did you think I meant?"
"Eh?"
"You were a bit snappy. I was congratulating you."
"I know, I'm sorry. Things... well... things aren't so good at home right now. Dele's... well let's just say there's a lot of talk about boundaries at home too, especially recently."
"I didn't think Dele was into cricket."
"Ha! You got that right. It's a different kind of boundary she's talking about. Needs her own space, that kind of bollocks."
"Ah."
"Sorry. Didn't mean to let it spill out here. Christ, this is the one place I thought I could get away from it for a few hours. Just a bit touchy at the moment."
"Yeah. Not surprising. Do you want to talk about it?"
"Would it help?"
"Dunno."
"Not the kind of thing we talk about really is it? You and me. Or anyone on the team. Crosses a line."
"Line?"
"Oh come on. You know what I'm talking about. What does any of us really know about... any of us? We might as well all exist in separate little bubbles when we're not here. All we ever talk about is runs and league tables and what type of linseed oil to use. I don't even know how you vote, or whether you've got kids."
"Never really thought about it before."
"I have."
"I mean, when I'm here, I'm here for the cricket."
"Sorry, but that doesn't sound very sociable."
"It's what brings us together though."
"Yes, but it's a bit one-tracked isn't it? There's more to life than cricket."
"Maybe it's just me. When I'm at work, I think about work. When I'm at home, I think about Jess and the kids. When I'm here--"
"You think about cricket. I get it. Bit compartmentalised though isn't it?"
"Supposed to be a bloke thing that though isn't it. Little compartments of life, never the twain shall meet and all that."
"I guess. I find that all a bit old school though. Life's hard enough without shutting yourself up in little boxes. Sometimes, it's better to share things. Think out of the box."

Williams looked thoughtful. He bent down to undo his laces.

"So I guess the answer to my own question is: yes. It would help to talk about it. Unless you'd rather not."
"No, it's fine. Sorry. That sounded a bit tepid. I'd like to help if you think I can. Gotta be better than having old Burlap bending my ear about his Java."
"His coffee?"
"Sorry. Java SCRIPT. Some kind of computer thing, apparently."
"Oh God, he's been at you with that too has he? I had it all last night in the pub too. If he spent as much time fixing it as talking about it, it would all be done by now."

Paul laughed. "Maybe he's too compartmentalised. He can only talk about it when he's not at work. Or worry about it. Not actually DO it, you know?"
"Maybe."
"So... Dele?"
"You're sure."
"Whatever you want to share. Within reason of course. There is a limit."
"Oh don't worry. I'm not about to give you all the gory details. Too painful."
"For me?"

Williams chuckled. A hollow chuckle, Paul thought.

"For both of us, probably. You know, it occurred to me the other day. You're the only one I know who's still with his original partner. Jess is your first wife, isn't she?"
"Yep. Came close once before. Long time ago. But really, it's always been Jess."
"Lucky you. I thought the same about Dele until this last couple of months."
"When she started talking about boundaries?"
"Exactly."

No comments: