Monday, October 15, 2012

100TWC - Day 80: Only Human

[ this is a companion piece to "Illogical" which immediate precedes it in the writing challenge - on Day 79 ]

Ralf set his cutlery carefully down on his empty plate. It still irritated her, that way he had of being so precise with everything. So damned prissy all the time. First the knife, then the fork. Always in that order. Always in exactly the same position on the plate. He was more of a robot than--

"Well. I don't think that was 'ruined' at all. It was delicious darling."

She bristled again, remembering their quarrel earlier. These emotions were just too close to the surface, almost out of control. She let the turmoil subside. Avoided a snappy retort.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. I like cooking for you. Especially when it's--"
"Special. Yes, I know. And you know I would have been here earlier if I could have. Anyway, let's not start all that again. It was a lovely meal. Did you make a dessert?"
"Crème Caramel."

Ralf smiled a little boy smile. One, Zadi thought, that he must have assumed would melt her defences. It probably would have stood a good chance of working on an ordinary woman.

"My favourite," he said, smiling even wider.
"Why do you think I made it?" she asked coyly.

She fetched the chilled dessert through and set it in front of him.

"Are you not having any?"
She patted her stomach. "Watching my figure."
"Nonsense," he laughed. "You're exactly the same shape and size as you were when we first met. Exactly the same. You never look a day older, and you never put on a kilogram or a single centimetre."
"Flatterer."
"It's true. I don't know how you do it. You never normally miss dessert though. You sure you're alright?"
"Of course. Don't worry. It's not my favourite. Anyway don't complain. It means all the more for you!"

Ralf picked up his spoon and took a huge mouthful of the gelatinous mound.

"I'm sorry we had that little misunderstanding earlier Zee," he said, swallowing and spooning up another mouthful. "If I could tell you what was really going on with work you wouldn't believe it."
"Try me."

He paused, spoon poised halfway to his mouth, considering. Zadi didn't say anything. Didn't want to break the spell. She hoped the crème caramel would work its magic.

"Well, perhaps I could sketch out the basics. Give you enough to understand what I'm faced with."
"It would help me Ralf. Maybe avoid a repeat of earlier?"
"You know I don't like arguing."
"Me neither. But sometimes it all just gets on top of me."
"I know. It must be hard. After all, you're only human." He finished his dessert. Placed his spoon delicately and accurately down on the empty plate. "I think I'll have a nice hot bath before we get comfy in front of the fire," he said.
"Take a brandy up with you. It'll help you relax."
"What a wonderful idea. You do look after me." He paused. "Scrub my back?"
"You go up. I'll be up soon when I've tidied these dinner things away."

Zadi waited until she could hear Ralf's footsteps on the stairs. Confident she could no longer be overheard, she tongued on her bottom left wisdom tooth and sub-vocalised:
"Zee-Alpha-zero-one-five progress report. Subject about to begin reveal. Stand by for further report in approximately two days."
"Received," said a small, tinny voice in her ear. "What's your power status?"

Zadi called up her retina display, scrolled through the status information displayed invisibly inside her eyes.

"I have 57% power," she reported.
"Commander Quantrell suggests recharging before your next report," said the voice.
"Understood. Zee-Alpha-zero-one-five out."

No comments: